Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Kids are us

This week the Mavens of the Pen are talking about kids. Specifically, the question is "did you always know you wanted to have kids?"

My answer is yes! But probably not in the way others might have said yes. I assumed that having children was part of growing up. You know, you get up in the morning, eat breakfast, go to school, learn to drive, graduate, go to college, get a job, get married, have kids, etc. I didn't really think of children as something that wasn't part of the plan.

One of the things that worried me was that my close friends had kids before I did. I didn't start working on the baby project until my mid-20s, but conception wasn't as easy as I thought. I cried more than once because I wasn't sure I could conceive. Then I stopped worrying about it night and day and nature took its course.

Like JL Wilson, I'm not overly maternal. People passing around baby pictures and babies will get smiles and encouragement from me but I don't have baby fever or even grandma fever. Babies will come or they won't. Out of my control.

But I am constantly awed by the children I was graced to raise. I wouldn't trade them for all the book contracts in the world.

Have a great week, all!

Maggie Toussaint
a fresh new voice in Southern fiction
www.maggietoussaint.com

No comments: