Monday, May 25, 2009

Ghosts and angels and other thumps in the night

This week we're talking ghosts at Mavens. What do they look like and how do they sound? I have several thoughts on this.
From personal experience, I have seen a ghost exactly once and felt ghosts other times. We lived in an L-shaped rambler growing up and my parent's bedroom was all the way at one end, the kitchen at the other end. One night after Daddy passed, I "saw" him walking down the hall just like he'd done a million times before. I even remember the floor furnace squeaking as he strode over it. To my mind, he appeared more transparent than solid, but he was recognizable. The other occasion was in my aunt's house and also at my brother-in-law's first house. Both times it felt like a really big ice cube brushed against my spine.
More recently, my thoughts on ghosts have been tainted by the shows Medium and Ghost Whisperer. I do believe spirits are around us and that some are more sensitive to them than others.
At the risk of sounding like a total loon, I've also seen my guardian angel, who is a full grown red-headed male. He came to me in a time of stress, manifested in a human body, and talked to me, with a human voice. He offered comfort and reassurance and I took it. There was so much love in his eyes it made me cry. Both kids were in pre-school so it was mid-1980s. Haven't seen him since, so I must be doing okay.
I'm reluctantly fascinated by these not so visible things.

Maggie
who is going to be an ostrich for the rest of the week to forget being a loon
www.maggietoussaint.com

7 comments:

Pat McDermott said...

How fascinating, Maggie! Who can say what's real and what isn't? In the first house we bought, the estate of a recently deceased elderly lady, our things started breaking and we ended up retrieving her discarded things from the basement. Soon we had so many of her things in the kitchen, I suspected she had a hand in it!

LK Hunsaker said...

You're not a loon. I think it's amazing that you saw your guardian angel. Now it strikes me that maybe we often do when we need to and generally don't realize it. I can think of one instance personally it could've been.

Unknown said...

MAGGIE--I might scoff and say, Maggie girl, you are loony for sure. I cannot attest to ever seeing a ghost, I have a close friend who did--and I believe her. She was widowed at a young age, when her husband was tragically killed. But she saw him in the garden, at the end of the row of tomatoes and he smiled at her. She also knew he stood behind her one night as she sat and read in her recliner--she felt the touch on her shoulder.Celia

Maggie Toussaint said...

Thanks Pat, Lorraine, and Celia! I'm touched by your comments. Happy week to all.

Cheryl Pierson said...

Maggie,
I don't think I've seen my guardian angel yet, but oddly, I believe there is one with me, and with my kids. I know Casey has had a couple of very close calls--someone was with him. There are too many unexplained things in our world for there not to be an unseen hand in many of them. I have always been very attuned to the spirits. There are times that I KNOW someone is in the room with me. When I was a young child, we went to the battlefield at Vicksburg. I was about 4. I remember walking along the rows of graves and feeling other people with me. I remember that the feeling was NOT like they were evil, but it just scared me because I couldn't see them. I ran over to my dad and had him carry me until we got to the cannons. Since my mom has passed, I have heard her call me in my sleep, so clearly it woke me up as if she were in the room. I've felt her hand on my cheek three times, like she used to do when she'd come check on us when we were little. You aren't loony!!!
Cheryl

Maggie Toussaint said...

you are so sweet to be as crazy as I am, Cheryl. I knew we were sisters of the heart, and this confirms it. Thanks for stopping by our Mavens blog.

Stephanie Burkhart said...

I do believe in guardian angels, and I'm excited you had a chance to meet yours. I think there are souls (ghosts) trapped here on the Earthly plane, not ready to move on. They need a little push. I think shows like "Ghost Whisperer" and "Medium" are very interesting.