Saturday, October 25, 2008

Wish I was promoting, but I am planning to write.

Yes, I'm planning to write. It's been too long since I've written. November 1st is the opening date for National Novel Writing Month.

The goal is to write fifty thousand words on a novel.

Enough to write a young adult or two.

Or the first draft on a longer piece of work. Novels are generally a hundred thousand words. If you're writing a series romance, the word count is lower.

Have other stuff to do in November...write around it. I'm planning a week long trip that won't leave much room for writing, but I want to do this. Take away our chapter meeting date, the family birthday bash, which means cooking for twenty-five! So, that takes away nine days out of the month.

So, divide fifty thousand words by thirty days and you end up with 1667 words a day. Going even further, there are generally two hundred and fifty words on a page if written in Courier. So, that would make 6.7 pages per day to finish by the end of the month.

Take into account that if you use lots of dialogue, you would need more pages to get the word count. So, check your word counter on your writing program.

But I only have twenty-one days to get it done. That means 2381 words per day, or known as nine and a half pages a day. Yikes!

It is a plan, if I start working now, I can get the basic structure of the novel down, the characters involved, the conflict, etc. Then it would be easier to get to the computer and hammer out the daily page count. Can I do it? I don't know, but it's worth a try.

Care to join me?

I double-darn dare you...

No comments: