Wednesday, October 22, 2008

When postponing ... list it

I have 2 tried and true methods to get me past procrastination. This isn't the 'I don't feel like writing' procrastination or 'I'm stuck on a scene' procrastination. I have tried and true methods to deal with that (edit for a while, sit and stare into space, take a walk, lift some weights -- the usual).

No, this is the 'I need to call so-and-so and deal with that unpleasantness' or 'I need to make sure to promo that book on Wednesday' or 'Must talk to the dentist about that problem with the bill.'

I use two things: one is a 6x8" pad of paper that is divided into 8 squares. I got this at Michael's (C), the craft store for a buck. It's labeled with days of the week in each square, Monday-Sunday, with a spare day for "notes".

I found that if I made lists of things to do, I always put off the unpleasant things. With this calendar-like thing, I just spread them out throughout the week. I jot things to do in each day-slot, making sure to give me time for some items on the days when I can really devote time to it (since I work Monday-Friday, that usually means on Sunday). And with this pad, I can make notes of things to do into next week and the next and the next.

It's made the Doing of Chores so much more palatable.

In terms of the Other Thing I Use: I have a promo checklist I made. It's a simple columnar list, Sunday-Saturday, of things I should try to do that day, promo-wise: blog here, blog there, post to this loop, check that loop. I have 4 items per day, and again, if some of them seem chore-like, I spread them out throughout the week.

I don't adhere strictly to either of these lists, but I've found that having them makes life a lot easier for me. I still procrastinate, but now it's scheduled procrastination, which means I know it will get done -- in my own good time.

No comments: