Wednesday, December 12, 2007

History, women and germs


It's hard to choose one spot, one moment, in time. For me, it would be the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918-1919 and the Suffragette Movement. That time period fascinates me.
So I think I want to observe as Congress passes the 19th Amendment on June 4, 1920. It didn't go into effect then, of course -- the states had to ratify it but on August 24, 1920 women could vote for the first time.
This had a HUGE effect on voting, politics, and social policy in the U.S. The country was coming out of World War I (the first 'modern war'), we were recovering from the flu pandemic of 1918-1919, and we were poised on the brink of industrial change. Automation, modern conveniences, radio -- all were starting to be commonplace. The world was CHANGING so fast it was hard to keep up with it.
Yep, definitely. I want to be there. Plus there's a selfish reason ... I'm setting one of my History Patrol books in that time period, and it sure would be nice to get some first-hand info ....

No comments: