Monday, December 10, 2007

Moonwalking with the Magster


I've been thinking about this topic for two days. If I could go anywhere in history over the past 200 years, what event would I like to eavesdrop on?


After much internal monologue, I arrived at my best answer and I'm ready to "lock it in," like they do on the Don't Forget the Lyrics TV program.


I'd like to be present at the first lunar landing. That would put me there with the crew of Apollo 11 - Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Buzz Aldrin. It launched July16, 1969 and Armstrong and Aldrin walked on the moon on July 20.


I remember watching the event on TV and thinking how grand it was, to be above the earth, to be walking on the moon. I loved how the moon's gravity was different than earth's and the people seemed to bounce like little kids. Those words: "Houston, the Eagle has landed," are forever etched in my brain.


As a kid, my dream was to grow up to be an astronaut. I knew little about the career or the improbability of my fitness for the task. All I knew is that it looked like fun, that space travel was possible, that the TV show Star Trek could be a reality - possibly in my lifetime. Our entire civilization seemed on the cusp of interstellar travel. I wanted to explore new lands, to boldly go where no women had gone before.


Looking back, I see that it was the call to adventure that lured me, the thrill of living out a fantasy. As a grown up, I still explore new lands and have fantastic, other world adventures. I just do those things in books!


Read a great book today.


Maggie Toussaint


No Second Chance coming 12/28 from http://www.thewildrosepress.com/

No comments: