Friday, November 30, 2007

Crimble

I love Christmas, still but over the years it's meant very different experiences to me.
When I was a child, it was all about the presents and the films on TV, at a time when they saved the best films for Christmas and there was no other way, apart from going to the cinema, of seeing them.
Now it's family, a rest and something different to break up the winter months. And we break out the best wine. Chateauneuf-du-Pape this year!
I still love the cheesy side, I really do. The decorations, the plethora of Santas all over the place, the silly jokes and the repeats of "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Holiday Inn."
My mother hates Christmas, she always has, but she didn't tell us when we were children and she helped to make it great for us. Her ideal Christmas is to go to a hotel somewhere, where she doesn't have to entertain (after 70 years of doing just that, I'd say she's due a break!) and where she can forget most of the rituals. This year she's still weak after her battle with cancer so she's just going to rest up a bit.
The trick is to go into it without expectations and then take it as it comes.

No comments: