Sunday, September 28, 2008

I suppose you all remember this one

John Lennon.

I was in Pittsburgh and married to my #(@! first husband. We moved there so he could go to school, but a month after we got there he broke the news to me that he didn't love me. So we were in the throes of arguing about divorce and we were so broke, we still lived together even after he told me he was in love with an 18-year-old (I was 28 at the time and 'over the hill').

Don't get me started.

We were driving to work on our god-awful commute after another night of bitter arguing. The news came on the radio that John Lennon was shot the night before. It totally threw me for a loop. I was stunned. How could someone be alive one moment and dead the next? Yeah, yeah, I know -- what a cliche. But something that BIG shouldn't happen.

It made me stop and think about a lot of things -- life, philosophy, death. At the end of thinking for several weeks, I thought: "Why am I struggling to stay in a loveless marriage?"

In early January I demanded a divorce and moved out.

Thank you, John. I'm sorry your death had to be the catalyst for me to start my life again.

No comments: