Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My go-to breakfast


Like Maggie, I've switched to a Plan (I do a semi-Atkins), so giving up my morning cereal was tough. Then I found these little marvels.


Crustless Spinach & Bacon Quiche

3 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled

1/2 small onion, diced

1 pkg (9 oz) thawed and drained: frozen spinach

dash pepper, nutmeg, salt

1 container (15 oz) whole milk ricotta cheese

2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese

1 cup (4 oz) grated Parmesan

3 eggs, beaten slightly


Cook onion in bacon drippings until tender. Add spinach, nutmeg, salt, pepper. Stir until all liquid evaporates (about 3 min). Remove from heat.

Combine ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan in big bowl. Mix in eggs. Add cooled spinach and bacon. Combine well.

Divide evenly into muffin cups (I use the silicone ones). I get about 15 muffins, 12 if they're biggies. Bake 40 mintues at 350 deg. or until middle is done. Let stand 10 minutes then enjoy!

I take one of these to work every morning, nuke it for 30 seconds, and it's yummy. I have not frozen them, but I suspect they'd be okay.

I sometimes add sauteed mushrooms to this and if I do, I make it 4 eggs, not 3.


Info per muffin:

216 cal., 17g pro, 4g carb, 1g fiber, 15g fat, 9g sat fat, 105mg chol, 405mg sod

No comments: