Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Keeper Shelf

Thank goodness I'm at the end of the week. It gives me longer to think.

One book that I use regularly is Webster's Ninth Dictionary. Of course, I use it for writing, so it might not count.

My bookcases are loaded with writing craft books, so none of those count.

But I have one section that is for my enjoyment, cookbooks.

I enjoy reading them, and own several that are ancient. There are recipes that delight the imagination, such as, fried pickles in the late 1890's, I thought that was something new. But, what about Coffee Jelly, or Prune Jelly?

Omelet with Peas. No thanks.

Oysters and Macaroni, or Oysters and Tripe. I'll pass on those.

But along with the recipes is a glimpse into the everyday life of the woman who made these meals. Etiquette, techiniques, planning schedules, etc., the list goes on.

The other book that qualifies as my second book is 'Simple Abundance' by Sarah Ban Breathnach...truly a keeper. If you haven't read it, a day at a time, put it on your list.

No comments: