Thursday, January 17, 2008

Keepers

Hmmm
I have a couple of hundred books on the Georgian period, and another shelf full of general history books. They're essential to me but if I had to narrow it down, I'd keep my "Oxford History of England" books. They're the most useful and the most reliable.
Now then, my other obsession is miniatures, doll's houses as we call them over here. As well as the inevitable houses (I have a Georgian, a Tudor and a seaside house as my biggies and some smaller vignettes, all contemporary set) I have lots of books on miniatures and mini-ing. I have a catalogue of Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle, an absolutely wonderful doll's house currently in the Museum of Chicago. Stunning.
Then there are my business school books, out of date but so expensive when I bought them! Marketing and riveting titles like "The Principles of Corporate Finance" but even they are proving useful now I'm writing a few businessman heroes!
And for fiction, the classics. Lots of Dickens, Austen, Bronte, Tolstoy, Fielding etc, which I enjoy revisiting from time to time. And a set of "Lord of the Rings" which I saved up my pocket money to buy when I was younger and apparently is now worth a lot of money (it's the first edition to be offered for sale in the States, and Tolkein did a few alterations for it, so it seems to be worth a bit). Which is nice.
And Terry Pratchett, of course. But my husband and son have commandeered those, so they count as family keepers!




No comments: