Sunday, December 30, 2007

One habit, one accomplishment, one dream


It's just three things. It doesn't sound like much of a chore at all, but the three selections for 2008 are challenging. It's like choosing what to give up for Lent. You don't want to pick something too hard to give up because you might get discouraged before you even get started.


Three little things: a dream, a habit that I'd like to break, and a nonwriting accomplishment I'd like to have for 2008.


One bad habit that comes to mind involves judgement. I often compare myself to others and wish I was more like them. I'd like to give tons of time to church efforts, but I'm lucky to carve out time to cook supper for my family. I'd like to give up this negative view of my efforts. I do what I can when I can. I should be content with that.


My dream for 2008 is related to our upcoming family vacation. My dream is to do something special for the entire family, something that will be a cherished memory for years to come.


So much of my time is tied to writing, that its difficult to think of setting a goal outside of writing. Since time is always in short supply, I fear I'm not a very good listener. I'd like to deepen my friendships, to hear what people are saying - and to digest it and consider what they've said means.


There you have it. For 2008, I resolve to be a better friend, to make a lasting memory with my family, and to be less self-critical.


Happy New Year everyone!


Maggie Toussaint


No Second Chance out NOW

No comments: