Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Holidays I have known

Unlike Maggie, I detest shopping and have been known to set a land speed record in the Mall of America, that mecca of consumerism not far from my house. I have gone out on Black Friday at (yes, this is not a typo) 5:00 a.m. just to watch the frenzy at my local Target and other stores. But I tend to shop, if I need to, on the Sunday after Black Friday. Everybody is a lot less frazzled.

My tradition centers around T-day itself. My spouse and I usually don't travel since weather is iffy in the Midwest at that time of year. I usually cook something small for us two and I drag out all the Christmas stuff and do up the house. I turn on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and become reacquainted with all the decorations. We eat lunch in the noonish time frame then I have the rest of the day to rest and relax and write if I want to.

On Black Friday I sometimes hostess a gathering of friends at my house for high tea, although this year it will be postponed because one of our number will be in Wales. So I will have three uninterrupted days to get caught up, make my goals for next year, and map out my writing strategy for the upcoming winter months.

The reverse of this tradition is New Year's Day, when I cook a New Year's meal for hubby and me, watch the Rose Parade and take down all the decorations and store them away again. Nothing like having a parade as the capstone for the holidays!

No comments: