Sunday, November 4, 2007

Black Friday


With Thanksgiving roaring up behind us like a swarm of Harleys, my thoughts turn to a favored holiday tradition - shopping!
My family isn't crazy about turkey and stuffing; in fact one of my children's favorite Thanksgiving memory is from the time we ordered out and got pizza. (I didn't burn dinner or forget to shop for it. We'd been slated to drive 12 hours to my sister's on Thanksgiving day and my oldest woke up with 104 degree fever.)

So for us, it the holiday isn't about the food. And since we lived far from our extended family, it wasn't about sharing a meal with relatives.

No, with teenage daughters, Thanksgiving turned into a special shopping day. Here in the US, the day after Thanksgiving is called Black Friday because so many people go shopping. For the Toussaint's, we were the early bird shoppers. We scoped out the ads and hit the stores at 6 am and the longest we ever stayed out was til 10 am because by then we were done.

We bought my oldest daughter's wedding dress on Black Friday. We've shopped for winter coats, for Christmas gifts, and for whatever was on our lists.

I'm not a big shopper, and in fact, I hate crowds. But I have greatly enjoyed sharing this time of gathering in bargains with my daughters.

Shop smart. Shop early. Shop with panache!


Maggie Toussaint

No comments: