Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I think I've got it ...


I think I've found it ...

You know, a niche has nothing to do with how well your sales are in a particular spot. At least, I think that's true. I only have 2 books out, both quite different, so I'm not sure I have any expertise in this, but I think 'niche' relates to where you're comfortable.

I'm comfortable writing 1st person sexy-cozy mysteries. Words fly off my fingers when I do that. There are other stories I WANT to write, but they're hard. Mysteries are hard, too, but in a different way ("How can I get person A to spot B to be killed by person C?") But the task of writing a mystery is easy for me, the characters and setting and all.

I'm going to stick with that, I think. I've come up with a plan for how to handle the books I have drafted that are 3rd person. Some will stay 3rd and will be polished for submission elsewhere, others will be re-tasked to 1st.

I feel like I've finally nailed what I want to do -- not just write, but write a specific kind of thing. I'm never going to give up on my SciFi series, but I think I'm just not a good enough writer yet to tackle it. I need to get these other books out there and polished and learn what I need in order to reward myself with working on the Book of My Heart.

So now I have goals again, and a plan, and a way to proceed. All because I thought about niches ....


No comments: