Sunday, July 22, 2007

And the award goes to ....

My neighbor went out of town and asked us to look after his house and bring in the mail. He said, "I'm waiting for the book to arrive, so keep an eye out for it."

I, of course, said, "My book isn't orderable for another 2 weeks, John."

He just smiled. "Harry Potter."

I'd completely lost track of the fact that PotterFrenzy was starting, being so wrapped up in my own world.

I think we can all agree that Potterism is a good thing: it gets kids reading, it's giving publishing a shot in the arm, yada yada yada.

But let's face it -- these aren't great books. They've got good characters and a clever plot. But it's not great writing (some of the books REALLY need an editor).

So why do you think these books have struck such a nerve? Why do you think Dan Brown's books (which also aren't great writing) have done so well?

What makes a best seller?

No comments: