Thursday, June 21, 2007

Back to our story ....

"Now wait just a minute!" Paula struggled ineffectually against the man holding her arm, but she may as well have been fighting a force of nature. He pulled her toward the bedroom. "Mom, this isn't right. What's going on?"

"I told you, dear. The Grimble."

Paula dug in her heels. "What's a Grimble?"

The grip holding her relaxed fractionally. "You've never heard of the Grimble?" The naked man glanced incredulously at Jolene. "What kind of a society is this? I've never met a woman like her -- who does she think she is? She can't deny me."

Paula twisted her arm and slipped away from him, planting her fists on her hips. "Now just a minute, buster. You can't talk about me like I'm not here." She struggled to keep her gaze level with his eyes and not allow it to drop lower, where something wickedly masculine was bobbing in a most enticing manner. "Believe me, I can deny you." Unfortunately, the words came out sounding a bit more whiney than she wanted, but at least she managed to get them out.

"Are you sure?" He took a step closer to her.

Paula backed up, only to collide with Jolene. She whirled. "Mom!"

"I'm sorry. I told you. I owe them. They provided me with the money I needed and in return ..." Jolene shrugged, her Claiborne silk suit jacket shifting over the patterned silk blouse. "It won't hurt ... much. And once it's over, you'll be with your brother."

"Hurt? Brother?"

Arze clamped his fingers around her wrist. "Some women have told me it's enjoyable. Come along. We both must do our duty."

"Maybe you do, but I don't."

An expression of bewilderment replaced the gleam in his azure eyes. "You don't find me ... appealing?"

Paula felt immediately guilty at the hurt in his voice. "It's not that, it's ..."

"But we must," he said in a low voice, glancing at Jolene. He beckoned Paula closer. She hesitated then leaned slightly nearer. "If we don't, I'll die."

Paula drew back. "What?"

"I'll die of love for you."

"Oh, now I know this is a dream," she muttered. "Love?"

He stared at her, his eyes like pools of sapphire. "Yes. Love."

No comments: