Monday, April 2, 2007

To brand or not to brand, that is the question


Branded! My fellow maven, JL Wilson, is concerned about creating a recognizable brand. I'm taking the opposite approach - I'm banking on name recognition and the difference in my cover styles to appeal to my readers.

Since readers rarely read only one type of book, I'm hoping that they will recognize my name whereever it is and reach for my book. And I'm banking on the different types of covers cueing them in to what kind of book it is. For instance, my romantic suspense covers will continue to be edgy; I'm hopeful my mystery cover will reflect the fun hilarity of my heroine; and my sweet romance covers should be different kinds of flowers.

I can only speak from a one-book experience, but I didn't get to chose my cover. I submitted ideas that I thought were fitting and my publisher used one of them for my cover. (How could I not love it, when the idea came from me?) But I was thinking to ask TWRP to do something so that my next book would have a similar edgy look. I was also thinking to see if the font style for titles or my name could be re-used to give my books more of a "set of books" feeling.

My clip art in today's post has nothing to do with branding, but Easter is fast approaching. May it be a blessed season of peace for you.
Keep on writing.

Maggie Toussaint

HOUSE OF LIES - available now!

No comments: