Monday, February 26, 2007

Finders Keepers - odes to my favorite books


I love books! And I'm compulsive about the books on my "keeper" shelf. If I loan one of them out and it doesn't come back, I get a bit antsy and mean. It's gotten to the point that I will buy a second copy of a book I own to loan it out because I'm not letting my books out of my sight.


What makes a keeper? Certain authors speak to me. I'm sure there are authors you read that do the same for you. The story and the plot just sweep me away to that other place, that place where there is no laundry, no bills, no troubles.


Since I've begun writing in earnest, I have tried to analyze my keeper stories. What makes me want to read those stories? I sit down with pen in hand and try to take notes, but before I know it, I'm sucked into the story again and enjoying the ride - even though I know what happens. I know people get fixated on movies and memorize lines of dialogue - well I'm a book junkie.


My ultimate goal, of course, is to make my books a staple on someone else's keeper shelf. I think that's when I'll know I have a following - when I have a fan write me and tell me they like my book so much that they won't loan it out!


With such a fixation on books, shelf space is a problem for me. I try to group books by authors but my system only worked when the books were one deep. Now there are two to three rows of paperbacks on the shelves and I have to hunt a bit more for a fav. I read oftentimes late at night, and that's when I reach for a keeper!


Until next week, Maggie

1 comment:

Chelle Sandell said...

I'm having the same problem with space. My problem now is that there are so many new books/authors out that I am trying to support, I am having to store all of my older titles. I very rarely have anyone ask to borrow.