Monday, December 17, 2007

Regrets and do-overs


Our weekly topic over at Mavens of the Pen is about regrets or wishes for do-overs for 2007. I don't spend a lot of time looking over my shoulder. I'm still looking ahead, hoping that I'm not a lone voice crying in the wilderness.


At this time last year, I had no idea what I was getting myself into when it came to book promotion. I knew a lot of marketing would rest on my shoulders with a small press book. I learned how to blog, chat, speak in public, mentor other writers, be a conference panelist, and a reviewer. I learned about banners, web places, bookmarks, book trailers, and book clubs.


I took a marketing class this spring, but it was after I was already immersed in the world of book commerce. I wish I'd taken that class in the fall of 2006. It would have alleviated that cresting of the hill feeling on the rollercoaster that I lived with for many months. But that's life.


With that said, I wouldn't change a thing about 2007. I'm not perfect by any means, but I'm looking ahead to 2008 when I'll have three books out. I'm looking ahead to what I'm going to write next, to what books might come out in 2009. I love being a published author. I'm so glad that I followed my instincts and submitted to a small press, and then another.


Maggie


No Second Chance coming Dec. 28 http://www.thewildrosepress.com/

No comments: