Monday, October 19, 2009

Over-care-itis

Hospitals. You love 'em or hate 'em, depending on if you are sick or not. As a general rule, I avoid going to hospitals. If a friend is sick, I'll call or send a card, saving the visit until they go home.

Even with my avoidance issues, I've had the misfortune to spend a good bit of time in hospitals. The thing that gets me riled up is how often they check you. Seems like they are always coming in to check your blood pressure or temperature. I find it hard to get much rest in a hospital. Just when I get almost dozed off, the staff comes in and wants to check this that or the other.

I realize that's their job, and I'm glad we have such dedicated caretakers, but sometimes it just seems over the top. How the heck are folks supposed to get well if they can't get any rest?

Maggie
who hopes to avoid hospitals in the near future
www.maggietoussaint.com

4 comments:

Kim Smith said...

i feel ya pal. i hate hospitals and avoid them with all earnestness.

Unknown said...

MAGGIE--I rant right along with you.We've always said we have to go home from a stay in the hospital to get some rest. Have you noticed how the nurses and doctors wear those crepe-soled shoes so they'll walk quietly, but then they bang things around all day? I do thank God for good medical care--on the other hand, we are the more overtreated, overtested people in the world. Celia

Liana Laverentz said...

May you be successful in your efforts to avoid hospitals in both the near and far future. They are an exhausting place to be, especially when they wake you up to draw blood. I once spent three days in the hospital, did not leave the room, did not shower (my son was ill). They just kept coming and coming and coming.

LK Hunsaker said...

And on the other hand, you can get admitted to the ER and sit there for an hour wondering what's going on without anyone checking in.

I also hope you can avoid them for some time to come.