Monday, August 31, 2009

Shopping Traditions

For many years, I did strategic clothes shopping with my kids. We could do casual clothes in one trip, underclothes in another trip. Bathing suits or shoes took several trips. In the early years, I would take both girls with me, then as time went by and they shopped from different departments within a store, it was easier to take them separately.

The kids could've gone all day, but I have always had a two-hour expiration limit. After that length of fluorescent bulbs, people, and music not of my choosing, I'm past ready to be alone for awhile.

But here's the thing. Once the kids went off to college, got married, and lived far away, clothes shopping changed for me. I had no interest in it. In fact, thoughts of needing an outfit for a work presentation or a wedding would send me into a full-fledged panic attack. I hadn't realized how much they were helping me with my shopping.

Time healed the rift, much to the delight of my credit card company. But it was touch and go there for awhile. I still miss shopping with my best buddies though. When we get together, we do our best to keep the tradition alive.

Maggie
who almost always drops after shopping
www.maggietoussaint.com

No comments: