Monday, August 10, 2009

bad job, bad job, whatcha gonna do?


In between retirement and working harder for myself than I ever did when I got paid good money, I got the idea to try a part-time job. A local business needed a receptionist, half-days. The job sounded like it was tailor-made for me. I could write every weekday morning, then staff the phones and busy office in the afternoon.

I quit on my first day.

The employees were nice, but as it turned out, I hated sharing a workstation with another person. I also didn't like that my "space" was located in the center of the room. Throughout the day, I had people coming at me from all sides, and it was completely disorienting. Plus there were extensive lists of businesses I could or could not recommend to visitors. Argh.

Looking back, my reasons for quitting sound lame, but I can assure you I was a nervous wreck after 4 hours in the hot seat. That was my first and last shot at being a receptionist. That career path wasn't for me.

Maggie Toussaint
a writer, not a receptionist

No comments: