Wednesday, November 26, 2008

So many things to be thankful for ...

I kicked off this thread because I realized how important the mundane old traffic light is to our lives. One near me has been out because of road repair and that 4-way stop is a PITA. Then I thought, "hmm, thankful for good health, indoor plumbing, freedom, safety..."

But I kept coming back to those traffic lights and what powers those lights. Yes, energy -- I appreciate and am thankful for easy-to-use energy. I turn on a switch and a light comes on. I click a button and heat flows through my house. Traffic lights regulate the roads, refrigerant cools my food, and electricity heats the stove.

A tip of the hat to power: solar, wind, electrical, gas -- whatever form it takes, thank you to whoever figured out how to get it from place A to place B. I've been without it too many times not to value it, but too often we forget that. So fire up that oven, turn on that light, or drop a load of laundry in the machine. It's all made possible by someone who figured out how to make it work.

No comments: