Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Think before you shop ....

A penny saved is a penny earned ...

Waste not, want not ....

Early to bed, early to rise ...

Our culture abounds in references to frugality, but many people ignore them, and why? It's because America is a consumer-based economy. It's not that simple, of course, but in essence: the more we spend, the better the economy. Of course, you've got to have money to spend in the first place. This was never a problem in post-WWII America, but as other economies started to attain a piece of the world-spending-pie, money became an issue.

So how to be frugal in a culture that rewards non-frugality?

Think before you spend. It's okay to spend, but stop and ask: "Am I shopping because I need something, or is this a recreational activity?" I think you'd be surprised at the answer -- for many, shopping IS the goal, not the purchase ("It isn't the bargain, it's the hunt"). If you want it to be a recreational activity, acknowledge it as such and enjoy it, but it doesn't mean you have to spend money.

And when you do spend, ask yourself if it's essential. I have a jones for bags: I love 'em but I have a firm rule: If a new bag comes into the house, an old bag must leave. So when I consider a purchase, I ask myself "Which bag will be leaving so this one can enter?" It makes for few purchases and those which are made, are valued. I can dwadle in the purse department, but I can set a land speed record in a grocery store, getting in and out with all items on my list. That's because I go there with a purpose and a goal in mind. When it comes to shopping for clothes or accessories, I may spend a bit more time, but I still limit myself to a set amount of time and a set amount of $$, often leaving empty-handed.

So I guess the simplest advice is: Be a Thoughtful Shopper. Don't shop on auto-pilot. Think before you charge.

No comments: