Sunday, August 5, 2007

Howling at the moon


Dog Days in coastal Georgia are a bit redundant. It's hot and sultry here from April through October. We're talking major temps and linen-wilting humidity. Most of us already howl at the moon on a fairly regular basis.

Even so, there are certain truths about August. We get most of our hurricane scares in August. As soon as they name a tropical storm, my mom keeps her car backed into her driveway, ready to evacuate at the slightest hint of a breeze. School starts back in mid-August, so we have to watch for the school zone signs and reduced speed limit on our one main drag. I'd like to avoid getting a speeding ticket if at all possible.

My writing goal for August is to update the sequel to my contracted work to Freya's Bower. But I have to be honest here. After a hectic July, I'm moving slow. I've got another conference appearance in August, then I hope to curtail my House of Lies book tour. I don't know how other authors keep up this grueling pace for so long. Between writing, appearances, chats, blogs, yahoo groups, myspace, shelfari, signings, contests, and promotional give-aways, I barely know which end is up - and that's just the promotions for one book.

Maggie Toussaint

No comments: