Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Oh, those authors ....


I decided not to be too hasty in my judgement of favorite authors. Okay, so one has disappointed me. I'm an adult. I'll try another favorite author.


Although I have to admit, this isn't really a favorite author as much as it is a favorite series. The original author has died and his son has taken over the franchise. So far I'm not disappointed. It's not as riveting as previous books, but it's intriguing enough to keep my attention. Maybe I'm just expecting too much ...


Or maybe now that I've published, now that I've been through the publishing process, I'm a bit more critical? I have to admit, there's a bit of the "hmmm. I wonder if her editor even looked at that manuscript?" I saw typos, I saw plot points that were a bit off, and I saw places where the plot floundered. Could it be that success breeds disappointment? I wonder if, once you become a Big Name, your editor is afraid to suggest changes?


I know I've read some books by High Powered Romance Authors that have made me sit back and think, "there's no way this should have been published". I remember one memorable one in which I could tell the author had a page limit to reach, probably to fulfill a contract. In the last 10 pages she wrapped up the story so fast that I went back and read it twice -- because it made no sense at all. None. New characters were introduced, a whole new plot twist was introduced, and a mysterious baby showed up -- all in the last ten pages. That author should have had her contract shredded.


Oh well. There's a million other books out there and not enough time to read them. No time to dwell on the baddies. I just hope I can learn from it -- NEVER get so big you don't think you need an editor.


Ha! Like I have to worry about that!



No comments: