Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Comfort zones ... who, me?

This is going to sound trite, but whenever I find myself stuck I get up and walk around.
I know -- too simple, right?

When I'm in the middle of a scene and I'm not sure where it's going, I get up, go outside (if the weather is cooperating) and walk around, talking to myself. "Would she go to her room now or would she follow him? Heck, she'd follow him and argue. So if they argue, what ..."

I suspect the neighbors have become accustomed to the sight of me pacing around my house, muttering. They must have become accustomed to it. Nobody's called the cops.

In terms of getting *started* on a project, I really have no comfort zone. I always write by the seat of my pants and seldom plot out a project in detail. I do research for things (time travel stories demand it), but other aspects are researched on the fly ("Hmm, what kind of seashell would be there. Must check. Google 'seashells, Captiva Island'"). So I don't think I have a comfort zone per se.

Or maybe writing *is* my comfort zone. I know I feel a bit directionless when I don't have time to sit down and work on my WIP. It's like a habit I can't break. I honestly don't know what I would do if I didn't write.

Hmm. That's a thought.


No comments: