Tuesday, May 15, 2007

ah, life ... how odd it is sometimes.

I was really more thinking about work behavior. So far in the publishing world I've found that people run true to form: some folks are highly critical of all, others are more live and let live, and others... well, I'm not sure, but I don't worry about them.

No, this was a work situation that was very odd. I'm discovering that not everyone has my work ethic. Suffice it to say, we have some folks who really don't pull their weight in the group. Or perhaps I should say it would appear so -- after all, who can really know these things?

My coping mechanism is to (1) attempt to change things by discussing it with management and (2) if nothing can be done to fix the problem, then find a way to handle it myself. This has resulted in me finding a way to still enjoy my job even though annoyances are happening. So I'm backing away from work. I'm not putting in those few extra minutes, I'm not going that extra mile. It's the only way I can still work and not feel like a martyr. And if those 'extras' I did weren't noticed or appreciated, why bother? I'm still doing good work and doing my part for the company.

I'm doing similar things with publishing. I have friends who are getting potentially better treatment because of their contacts. These are new authors who have just entered publishing, just like me. The only thing I can affect is my own actions, so I need to assess what's going on and decide how much I want to invest in being angry, or being frustrated, or being defensive. If I don't want to invest much, then I need to cut my losses and back off.

I guess it all boils down to: control what you can and try to ignore the rest. If you can't ignore it, make it inconsequential.

But man, it's a juggling act!

No comments: