Monday, March 19, 2007

Traveling Light -- with eBooks


by Maggie Toussaint


Through out my childhood, friends and family were amazed at how light I packed for trips. I could pack swiftly without agonizing over what to take and I never took too many extras. Then I traveled overseas and realized Americans have no concept of traveling light.


Looking at what we thought was necessary versus what our travel guide thought was necessary was quite telling. She got by with a knapsack while we had jumbo closets on wheels.


Since then I realized that I have no talent for packing, and now that I've gone a bit mad for shoes, I can no longer say I pack light. Perhaps I pack "minimally" for an American.


However, I will not pack for any trip without tossing in at least three books. No kidding, I need my books when I travel. The odyssey into electronic books will help me lighten my load on future trips. I'll just toss in my ebook reader instead of a dozen paperbacks!


Maggie Toussaint

House of Lies, ISBN 1601540310

No comments: