Saturday, March 31, 2007

Awards...What do they mean?

My first major award...I forget. It was a civic organization, and it was for 'Outstanding Woman'...but where is it? I dunno...

But the ones on my wall are: Nursing Home Administrator of the Year presented by the Louisiana Nursing Home Association. I'm rather proud of that one. I received it in 1994.

In 1997 I had a banner year:
The Distinguised Rotarian Citation presented by the Rotary Club of Avoyelles.
RWA presented me with a Service Award.
I earned the Diamond-In-The-Rough Award from Coeur de Louisiane for finishing a book and submitting it to a publishing house.

Since then, I've placed in numerous writing contests.

What does all of it mean?

One, I strive for doing the best job I can. The first three awards were presented to me because of the work I did and I didn't know that an award was available.

The rest are all writing related. Which to me is the hardest thing I have ever done. The first time I finaled in a writing contest, I cried when the coordinator called me on the phone. I had decided that writing wasn't for me, I seemed to be going nowhere, so I quit. Each year I feel that way, but usually the feeling goes away after a day. I mean, what would I do with my spare time if I didn't write? But I was on my third day...then I received the news that I finaled in the Gotcha! contest. I came in last, but hey...I was one of the top three in that category.

So, I continue to submit to writing contests. Mainly, to get feedback, an award is a bonus. This year I finaled twice in the Gotcha! contest...both of my entries are on an editor's desk. That's the part that I like the most.

No comments: