Saturday, February 10, 2007

Conferences

RWA National Conference is great. Especially if you want to see writing buddies that you only see once a year.


Local conferences are also great. Here is where you generally get to speak to editors and agents in a social setting. Appointments are easier to get, and sometimes all the attendees are given a blanket 'submit' to me. Most of the conferences also have a Q&A session, so you get to hear what individual agents and editors are requesting. Why send someone a paranormal if they hate them?


According to my schedule this year, I might be attending three. Perhaps, four. I'm retired, have funds and consider attending conferences a part of the learning process. Plus, you can take off the expense on your tax return.


I've met Judi and JL...and JL's buddies, who are a hoot to be with.


Writing is such a lonely profession. You do it alone, if you're lucky and don't have disturbances, and your mind is totally focused when you're in the swing of creating. So, conferences are great as you get to talk to others without their eyes glazing over. (As family and friends are wont to do.)


Wont is a word, if you don't know what it means, look it up..


Another reason to go to a conference, is that is usually where they announce their contest winners. So...as I'm a finalist in the Linda Howard Contest, I might be going to the Southern Magic Conference in Birmingham, AL...just a few states over.

And here's the eye candy for the week.

1 comment:

Carla Swafford said...

I hope to see you at the Birmingham conference, Donna.