Monday, February 5, 2007

Conference hype


Conference hype. We've all heard it. We've all felt that heady rush of excitement as we hurried down the gangway, as we searched the faces of passers-by. At my first conference I was a mere sand gnat flying among the giants. I blundered by introducing myself to the biggest name there. She was polite about me talking a mile a minute and pumping her hand, a hand that was probably worth billions of dollars, and that was it. Nothing more. I was crushed, I mean I'm puppy friendly, who wouldn't like me?


Then I realized that this person has thousands of people introducing themselves to her every month. And I felt a more charitable toward her. Who could keep all that straight? Later I heard her say, in a speech, that her "friend" book was full. She didn't have any more openings. While this was an odd thing for her to say, I understand completely now. Life is short. It takes time to be a good friend, and it takes time to have a writing career and a family.


This author wasn't being rude, she was practicing a skill I'm trying to learn - time management. So, yes, conferences can be fun, they can be informative, they can help you network, and now as a published author, I'm looking at them to help me sell. Just like anything else, this selling comes at a cost of being a workshop presenter or a conference organizer.


Which brings me back to time management. First you must chose a conference that's right for your needs. If you're an aspiring author, then select for the editors and agents who take appointments. If your pitch is halfway decent, you'll probably get an invitation to submit. If you're thinking about being a writer, select one heavy with craft workshops and writer's life experiences. Wanring - this is not a career for the faint hearted.


Once you select a conference that meets your needs, the rest is up to you. You've got to introduce yourself to people, to chat up the person sitting next to you at a workshop or standing beside you in the elevator, to ask questions, to absorb as much as you can. You can write a book all by yourself, but you sure can't sell it that way. You need networks and other authors willing to journey with you as you find your way.


Like my great buds here at Mavens. It wasn't chance that brought us together. We were all out there, searching for self-improvement, trying to hone our craft, and realized our similar goals of writing seriously for publication. Friendship. Its the best gig going. Love Ya, Mavens!


Until next week, Maggie

No comments: